Tuesday, July 31, 2018

DRiVE: Part 2

In part 2, Daniel Pink does a fantastic job of explaining the three elements of creating intrinsic motivation (Motivation 3.0) and push past motivation 2.0!


Daniel Pink details autonomy, mastery, and purpose as the three elements that enhance motivation 3.0 and foster Type i people. 

My take away for each element:

Autonomy: Because people are naturally curious and active people can function efficiently in their own way; management influence can hinder the creative thought process. Also, "flex time" is actually control in sheep's clothing! Truly handing over the reins to employees or students to develop a ROWE (results only work environment) is critical to establish autonomy.

Mastery: The desire to get better at something that matters answers the question, Why do it? I want my future students to "forget themselves in the function" and get into the flow of engagement.

Purpose: This provides a context for autonomy and mastery by creating "A cause larger than themselves" 

What does this look like in real life? 

"They vs. We companies (my classroom)"

How will this impact my fall?

I will certainly be observant of type i professors at Penn State. Learning and observing is how I can become more proficient in these areas. This will be useful as I develop my own teaching philosophy.

I will also incorporate autonomy, mastery, and purpose into my assignments and assessments for my students and in the projects I will create in preparation for student teaching.

How will this impact my spring?

Getting students to evolve into type i students will be easier when utilizing autonomy, mastery, and purpose in my classroom. 

I was asked several types about how I can incorporate these theories in my class without undermining administration or other teaching philosophies, and that is a difficult question. My best solution to this would be allowing the students to be autonomous in meeting the requirements of the administration. 

For instance, Bell Work is a requirement at Dover Area High School, to goal of warming up for the day would be a goal for the students to accomplish, but achieving that goal or answering that question would be in the student's control.


Mentorship team feedback
Answering the questions of my past blog has built upon the information gained in this part of the book. Linking the two parts together makes the theory more feasible in a classroom.

6 comments:

  1. Lisa, you did a much better job of relating what you are reading to the journey that lies ahead during the fall and spring semesters at PSU. However, please include how your mentoring team contributed to your blog post and evidence of your discussions about each part of the book. Utilizing quotes, stories, and examples of what was shared are all easy ways to do this. Remember, your mentoring team members are already living the agricultural education dream and will be a great source of advice as your continue to connect what you are reading to the agricultural education classroom and profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa -- I think that you have a good grasp of the concept of the intrinsic motivation and the elements which Pink details... I like the idea of using your experience to move toward such a situation with the students you will work with during your student teacher experience, however, I strongly recommend that you spend as much time as possible between now and your experience working with your supervising teacher (and likely also the school administration) on a plan for such a transition and work hand in hand on the plan so as not to disrupt school philosophy and overall mission and vision... We are often reminded of the old clique', "Failing to plan is planning to fail" and I have a strong belief, developed by years of experience, that this planning aspect of such an implementation is the most critical piece. Remember that your students will need a lot of information in order to move forward in this implementation and they must understand the purpose and expectations (we would hate to experience the student/students taking advantage of autonomy to avoid learning altogether... your point of assuring that the administrations expectations are critical for them to meet as they move into this 'new' model. Take the implementation a step at a time and try hard to be certain that the student/s are ready for the next step in your planned progression. I will be interested to follow your journey throughout your student teaching experience. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin! I have certainly begun planning with Mrs. Barzydlo and will continue to incorporate this into our classroom model!

      I 100% agree with your statement "we would hate to experience the student/students taking advantage of autonomy to avoid learning altogether."

      What would be your suggestion on where to start with autonomy in the FFA portion of my three circle model?

      Delete
  3. As a young teacher, I find these three words can be challenging to incorporate and trust that they will result in student success. I can see how this would be difficult to envision how it will be incorporated within your spring classes because I find myself evaluating each individual class before implementing lessons and activities that work on developing these skills and abilities. I interrupt these concepts as always purposefully developing lessons with the goal of achieving mastery to result in autonomy. I would try to have bellwork everyday that achieves purpose of your lesson which is 1/3 of the total elements already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! With my cooperating center they require every class to have "bellwork" and a lesson outline, available to all students, that they can cross out items as we progress on their notable apps.

      How would you recommend infusing autonomy into their bellwork while still achieving the lesson's goal?

      Delete