Sunday, August 26, 2018

RTL Reflection

The Task: 

At the end of our very first day in AEE 412, Ms. Morey asked us to randomly select a packet of papers which would assign the topic which we would be teaching on two days later, during Lab AEE 412. 

My task was to teach as many of my peers to juggle three balls, for one rotation in a 15 minute lesson. I was TERRIFIED! Mostly because I CAN'T JUGGLE!


How it went:

I wrote my lesson plan, practiced juggling for three hours, and hoped for the best. I walked into class like a boss, knowing this was just a temperature taking assignment, and knowing if anything my peers and I were going to try our best but have a good time doing so. 

First, I had a technical issue. The room's audio was malfunctioning, so therefore my video for the final step of three-ball-juggling demonstration (which I was only able to successfully juggle two) was incomplete. Fortunately, as a back up, I narrated what the gentlemen were saying and used the video as a visual aid.

Second, none of my peers successfully learned to juggle three balls in 15 minutes. Bummer... BUT, I look for silver linings:
  1. All of my peers were motivated to try
  2. All of my peers tried their best
  3. All of my peers showed significant improvement from where we started.

My learning:

First: I had a reality check. Ag teachers are jacks of all trades and masters of none. I will be teaching material I don't fully understand, or maybe skills I can't fully do. But, similar to my juggling lesson, a successful teacher will invest the time to get better or understand more, and have a back-up plan to better teach the students.

Second: When checking for understanding, you will have to go back sometimes and divert from the lesson plan to make sure information is fully understood. It wasn't in my lesson plan to spend 10 minutes on practicing with two-ball-juggling, which slowed us down from getting to the three-ball-juggling task. But I knew my students/peers needed that information to move forward.

Third: YET... it is such a powerful word. A peer of mine said "I can't do this." Fortunately for me we had just covered growth mindset, and my response was quick and meaningful. I simply said "yet," smiled, paused for it to sink in, and started to help the student more.



My feedback from Peers:

Unanimously, my feedback included that the task given to me REQUIRED more time. Given 15 minutes in class was an assigned time, I had to work with what I could. Outside of the practice room I will use this feedback in the future -- you can only go so fast. Cramming tons of learning into short periods of time doesn't promote meaningful learning, it promotes checking off arbitrary boxes of completion. 

An additional comment that stuck out was they appreciated the differentiated methods of giving feedback and instruction regarding their performance. Throughout the lesson I had first demonstrated, then I showed the video, then I went to each students individually and worked with them, then I had them work with each other to coach each other, and finally I coached them as a whole group again before moving on.


6 comments:

  1. Yet! Yet is such a great reflection to take away! I am sure many times over the next year we will have to remind ourselves, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I love how your blog post reflects the growth mindset and serves as an purposeful reflection tool for you. You do a great job discussing your gems and opps and what you learned from this experience. I hope you to continue to maintain this positive approach throughout the semester when you continue to encounter things you don't know or haven't mastered "yet"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa, I feel that your reflection on our first RTL assignment was very powerful! There was a good balance between your gems and opportunities but must importantly you captured the "yet" mentality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounded like a great assignment to reinforce the agriculture teachers are well rounded, but many of us are not masters of all and it can take years to really feel like a master. If a student knows it better then you, let them demo and challenge them to explain how to do it. I think this can go a long way in rapport. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a great point of discussion we had in class on Wednesday! Ryan, of #PSUAGED19 asked what can we do to have them help teach their peers. I love hearing you say you use this in your practice, making it even more real for me!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a fun but very meaningful assignment. It does remind us all that we are not masters of every subject matter. I agree with Ms. Ranck allow students that have skills in a particular area demonstrate.
    Yet...a powerful three letter word! I use this all the time! :)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete