Friday, January 18, 2019

Week 2 Student Teaching

Teaching My First Lesson!

In the grand advice of Mrs. Barzydlo, "You've been dreaming of your first day teaching since freshman year of college, it is impossible for you to perform up to your expectations you have for this day."

The background information

The students at Dover have recently gone through the ringer, my first week there they did keystone testing for four days and Friday was the only "normal bell schedule"I've seen. This week, Monday they had finals in Block 1 & 2, and Tuesday they had finals in Block 3 & 4. Then the big day came, on Wednesday,

On Wednesday we had career and college day. The first 3/4 of the day were spent with speakers, in workshops, and at lunch. Then, students had the opportunity to meet all of their 2nd semester classes and teachers for the first time, but only for 25 minutes each block. This Career & College day was the only thing between them and their 5 day weekend. 

So for 25 minutes I decided I would cover classroom expectations, procedures, and consequences with an activity and asked for them to write their most important quality in a teacher that I should master for them. Additionally, I introduced myself, what a student teacher was, and established classroom procedures of assigned seating and the bell ringer on schoology.

What actually happened

When the students walked in I heard quiet, but polite grumbles regarding the assigned seating. I fully, expected more push back, so this was a pleasant surprise.

When the bell rang, I walked in with Mrs. Barzydlo, who went straight to the back of the room and let me take the lead. I prompted the students to pull up the bell ringer on schoology, which was a first day survey. All the students pulled up the bell ringer, and all but two did so on a fully charged iPad, the other two used their phones.

Once everyone was finished I introduces myself and started the lesson. I was met with full participation and interest with what I was saying. Although that was it... They did not want to speak... at all.

I WAS TERRIFIED! What was a doing wrong? Why weren't they willing to talk? They were doing everything as they should have been, and I was warned this was a chatty bunch, yet I heard not a peep. I FLEW THROUGH THE LESSON, originally Barzydlo and I both thought I had too much material and wouldn't get through it all... and here I was, 10 minutes left, and 26 students were boring holes into my forehead.

Analysis & Future Plans

I've come to the conclusion that they were overloaded. First, they were burnt out from testing and a long day, and were eager for their 5 day weekend. Second, there were actually four teachers in the room (Myself, Barzydlo, an aid for my students with IEPs, and an aid for my students who are neurologically impaired.) Third, I had come out swinging with assigned seats and a straight to business demeanor that they may not have been expecting. Finally, they had never seen me before because they were all new students.

For next week, we have . few things planned to get my foot in the door a little better.

  1. Barzydlo plans to sit in the office, with the door closed, but can hear all our interactions.
  2. The students will be fresh and won't be expecting a long weekend (in a different mindset)
  3. I will scramble the seating assignments to find the best flow, allowing the aids to reach their students easier. 
  4. Engage in more "chatter" before class to learn my students, in addition to a name game, since our roster should be shuffle out.


6 comments:

  1. Teaching relies on adjusting. All of us, no matter how many years of teaching experience have to do this - ALL THE TIME! The difference, the more practice you have had at it, the easier it is to hide it and make it seem like it was just always part of the plan. Reflection is key and you're set to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their willingness to open up and participate in discussion is also predicated on the culture and relationships you have established.....Those will simply come with time.

    Keep up the good work, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Great planning allows you to adjust. Take time to build rapport with the students and it will pay off down the road.
    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    I like that you are reflecting and adjusting to meet the needs of your students. Remember to have fun with this, and to show the students how awesome you are. They will come around :)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I love that you are getting to experience the "real" version of education. The testing, the messed up bell schedules, the "other things" that steal motivation from students. I completely remember those same feelings of finishing a lesson WAY earlier than expected. However, with more time and practice, you will learn how to pace yourself and extend learning by throwing in some "waiting in the wings" questions to provoke student thought/opinion, thus creating a little more class interaction, in turn extending the time a lesson takes. But again, this will take time and practice. Great advice from Alex, I'm sure she will continue to provide good mentorship to you. Keep up the hard work and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great blog!!!

    I am proud of you. Keep on keeping on ;)

    ReplyDelete