Sunday, March 17, 2019

The 2nd SAE Visit

Visiting an Established SAE

My first SAE visit was to a placement that we helped him establish the week prior, for my second SAE visit was to a student that is a junior that has had strong SAE projects since his freshman year. 

Summary of the visit:

My student, who is an officer but I do not have in class, he previously had a swine production SAE that he enjoyed. He made a business decision the year prior to switch to a meat goat breeding operation since goats were selling for much more than the pigs were. 

He had approximately twenty breeding does that were kidding for the first time that spring. He had three does that had kids (two with a single kid, and one with twins.) He bought a buck and plans to get a second season of kidding for later in the summer. The previous breeding season he leased a buck, therefore by buying a buck out of the genetic pool he will be diversifying his herd. 












What I learned:

  • Use questions to get students to talk more than you (the teacher) so you take a listener role.
  • Ask questions about growth since their first SAE.
  • It can be informal, be silly and have fun, to build rapport with the student if appropriate. 
  • Take time to meet the family and discuss their involvement in the FFA, SAE, or potential classroom activities. 
  • Don't hesitate to contribute your knowledge to the project even if you are not an expert in that area.


3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    It looks like you had a great time! I recommend having a "checklist" of items that you carry with you for each visit so that you don't miss important pieces of information during the visit, as well. A pre-approval conference with the student can also help set the stage for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great SAE example from a dedicated student and family. I'll correct you because it makes it more impressive, but this student is a sophomore. We're very excited to see where his SAE goes and get him prepped for the Proficiency Application process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun visit! I have found my agriculture knowledge stretched as I complete SAE visitations. I complete a pre-SAE process of reviewing their AET recordbooks by printing them out and marking them up, making notes for their next degree, and then I take that with me. After the visit I complete the SAE visitation form on AET that allows me to connect it to my extended contract/teacher hour tracker on AET and that gives them digital feedback incase they loose their packet.

    ReplyDelete