Friday, January 25, 2019

Week 3 Student Teaching

Energy!

My situation:

In large animal science this week I experienced a range of student energy. While playing with the seating chart and testing different methods of management, I noticed a considerable difference in their energy.

On Wednesday, I had a group of rowdy boys that were well intentioned but were difficult to curb their energy back to the class.

On Thursday, While recording for an Edthena reflection, my students were very unenthusiastic. I was having trouble generating the energy I wanted to have in the room.

Keep in mind, both days were manageable and we had a good lesson, but curbing/maintaining/creating energy is a useful tool that I wish I would have more experience with.

How You Can Help Me:

When experiencing a wave of energy and the crash following, how do you curb, maintain or create energy to manage your class?

COMMENT BELOW

4 comments:

  1. This is a great observation that you made. Energy in students will fluctuate based on the time of day of the class, class, size, time of year, weather outside, external factors outside of school, and on the quality of lesson. I would think about what you read this summer in the Drive book. Also do not be too hard on yourself yet because you are getting to know these kiddos still. You will find what keeps their energy up as you work with them more. I also give a get to know you inventory that asks "I love when teachers?..." And how they like to work and are what type of learner they are. IT really has help me connect my lessons and activities better. I also try to give projects options so the students feel as if they have ownership (option such as building, digital creation, speaking, etc.) and it motivates them. I equate energy to motivation. Worse comes to worse, if they work "quickly" always have practice work or little tasks around or errands for them to run. Student love to feel helpful and needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great approach to your weekly blogging. Specifically putting the question out there.

    And how cool is to see your summer reading resource come back to play when you need (and to be given coaching by a virtual mentor??)

    I would share that I was never afraid to ask my students something like - whoa, I am having a hard time here with the low energy. What can we do better?

    Also -don't be afraid to shift gears and change things when students are not responding the way you thought they would! Planning is great, but it's biggest benefit is to provide you a place to change from if needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing - I would suggest titling your blog post in more descriptive ways.

    For example - instead of week 3- you could title this one "Riding the Energy Wave"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    We all have different levels of enthusiasm as individuals, as well as by day or even content area (think small gas engine here 😀). Just keep the communication lines open and work with what they are telling you. Adjustment will get easier the more often you experience different classes/situations.

    ReplyDelete