Friday, February 8, 2019

Week 5 Student Teaching

"I already know how to do that"

A common theme I noticed this week was fielding the phrase "I don't have to do, that because I already know how to" or some variation of that. This phrase sparks frustration and even anger inside me. 

I respond with phrases like, "I'm glad you know how to do it, but it doesn't hurt to practice." or "Excellent, now you can help your peers figure out how to do that also." To which I have been ignored or I receive another excuse. 


What more can I do?

  • I've explained the "Why" behind what we are doing (important to tests/grades, important in real life, important for the rest of the course.)
  • I've asked them to be experts
  • I've told them its not optional
  • I've ignored them and hoped they'd come around when they didn't get attention
Nothing is more frustrating than wanting to help students that don't want to help themselves. 

I now realize I cannot get hung up on students that are negative and refuse to do anything, because I can't MAKE them do something. But, I surely can follow up with what they earned in grades and I'll have opportunities in the future to discuss why they should have put in the effort prior. 

ADVICE IS APPRECIATED! THANK YOU!


4 comments:

  1. Lisa, Lisa, Lisa,... We have all been there. Does that help? I think this is one of the most frustrating parts of teaching; working with students that you want to help succeed, and they are not motivated at all. I would encourage you to not give up (which I know you won't), and continue to provide engaging content that matters in agricultural education. It may be just one item that sparks the interest of those students to become involved, and subsequently stay involved. They may even become some of your best advocates for pulling other students along in the future.

    On the flip side... it may not sink in, especially in the short timeframe that you are in your student teaching experience, but eventually (and yes that may be when they are 25 or 30 years old) they will look back and begin to realize that you, and many other teachers were just trying to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would encourage you to give an applied project or give a higher level example or problem if that is applicable to your situation. Keep staying positive. YOU GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to think about how we could have "differentiated" projects that are perhaps harder...

    so, Student X says, I already know how to do this, Teacher could respond, "Awesome! I have a the perfect challenge for you so that we all keep growing"

    Sounds good, but I can also see it being a touch more work, so you would have to pick your moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having some next level items ready to go is great. They don't even need to be large scale items. Speaking from experience at Dover (and I would bet this happens in other places) "I already know this" can be true, and can also be a deflection. There is a difference in actually knowing something and remembering that it was taught to you before. A few small challenge items will let you determine which version of "I already know this" you are getting. It will also allow the student to see that they have mastered the concept and that you are also aware of it, or to see that they could use the practice you are trying to provide and you might get some more buy-in. Either way, you both win. Try not to get frustrated, even when you don't see the other ag teachers in our building getting the same push back. You have classes that love to push buttons...especially on someone new that they think they can upset.

    ReplyDelete