Wednesday, March 20, 2019

SLLC

Making Meaningful Learning Connections 


ACES was my first attempt to take students on an overnight trip with the FFA to learn from, and I learned a lot of great things, refer back to my ACES blog. SLLC was my second attempt and I had the opportunity to plan and structure the trip to add learning connections beyond what the conference had to offer.

Planning SLLC

  1. Get approval from school board and van reservations
  2. Announce the Conference as soon as you can following the State Registration Opening
  3. Get a sign-up sheet with minimum information (Including dates of the conference, teeshirt size, roommate preference, signatures needed from parents and teachers, and price of the conference)
  4. Register Participants that have paid
  5. Hand out packing and To-Do List
  6. Get last minute administrative sign offs for the trip

Structuring the Conference for the Students

  • This begins with the packing and to-do list. I added the schedule so the students knew everything I knew.
  • I created a GooseChase! (Check it out below)
  • Have check-ins daily with expectations for the next day
  • Reflection on the way home: What did you learn? What did you enjoy the most? What would you do differently to better prepare/get more out of the conference?

GooseChase:

I was introduced to GooseChase on my Domestic Study Away to Wisconsin. I thought about creating this for Mid-winter Convention and ACES but never got around to learning how to do it. With a little extra time for learning I got ambitious, which I am now thankful for.

I created my GooseChase in less than a half hour for my students to join on their personal devices. The students we took to SLLC were responsible, motivated, and competitive. This seems to be a great mix for success with GooseChase.

My tips for making a great GooseChase:
  • Make Teams: Stepping out of your comfort zone is easy with a friend or two
  • Have some "getting started" missions: when they first join their team they will be chomping at the bit to get started. Load this with information that is key to know ahead of time
    • I asked them to research their State legislators for the Conference Breakfast on Tuesday
    • I asked them random PA FFA facts for them to know, like who is the executive secretary or the name of our state degree. 
  • Have tasks at varying levels of difficulty
    • Easy like: "get a selfie with a state officer/Person from North/South Central/West/East"
    • More Difficult, Like: "Get 40 signatures at the "Glow Rave" and submit photo evidence"
    • Fun like: "Bust your favorite dance move"
  • Use the Missions for Selfish Reasons:
    • Get photos for the scrapbook or social media through the photo missions
    • Evidence Learning to Administration: What content did they learn? Community Service?



1 comment:

  1. Great trip and I know you learned a lot from this. I love the idea of using the Goose Chase at a conference and you are right, now you have artifacts that you can use for other purposes to help promote your program!

    ReplyDelete