Sunday, February 17, 2019

Student Teaching Week 6

Wait, When did I last see my Students?

This week, I saw my students for a total of 8 hours... Monday and Tuesday they were out due to a snow day, Wednesday we had a 2 hour delay, and Thursday was a 3 hour early dismissal for inservice data collection, as well as having Friday off for in-service professional development. 
Current mood regarding snow days...

I need advice:

When I see my students next, how do I assess the forgetting curve? Where do I pick back up, or how much content should I re-cover?

I have been guilty of moving too fast, and here we are days out of class, and I fear my students are losing content at large rates while I get my feet under myself as a teacher!

My Thoughts/Plan:

Until I get your awesome feedback, I've developed a forgetting curve plan to aid in recovering information. We had covered Breed ID from the National FFA Vet Skills Handbook and Animal Terminology, because of this I feel a day dedicated to review is necessary. 

I doubt my students looked over their terminology or breed during their time off, and seeing that the knowledge hasn't been used at deeper levels of understanding yet, I feel it would have a higher likelihood of being forgotten. 

Therefore, review group games are in store for us on Monday to get a formative assessment of how much they have forgotten. IN addition to re-learning the material!

4 comments:

  1. Snow days and two hour delays can really mess with a teacher's plan. It sounds like you covered a good bit of content in the last lesson and to move on with mastery you will need a review day. I hope you have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, could be a cool Warm Up/Bellwork:
    What was the last thing we learned and what do we need to learn now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, snow days and delays can be the bane of a teacher's existence when there are as many as we've had this winter! I always tried to use a traffic light system when determining how to teach material from lost days: green: things that had to be taught, yellow: things that would be nice to know, but could serve as fun activities for independent study/extra credit, red: stuff that could be skipped. I mark the parts of my lesson plans with these colors, and then rework them to include as much of the green things as I could, and also the yellow if time allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use our online platform, Canvas to share information and when I am going to be out or during snow days, I communicate via email and remind with students and give them updates on what is due when and what they should be reviewing. This helps students who like to stay organized and know dates as well as keeps students on track with where you are.

    ReplyDelete