Thursday, February 28, 2019

Week 8 Student Teaching

Leveraging Student Rapport

You've Heard it a Million Times:

Having student rapport squashes classroom management issues, motivates students in your classroom because they want to succeed, and again displays for the student that you care for them. Now completing week 8, student rapport is pretty strong with some students. I want to share a story about one specific student which I have developed rapport with and how it unexpectedly helped me in the classroom.

The Student with the Nickname:

During my first week in Small Gas Engines, while I was learning names, one specific student told me a nickname (rather than his given name), later he confessed this is not his name on the roster and it was all a big joke, which is fine because that class does joke a lot. I now refer to this student as his given name AND his nickname (which is a mouthful to say) which he appreciates and finds humorous. 

This student got into trouble around week three, for a presentation in another ag class, that was done with others students in small gas engines. Bowen corrected the issue and addressed professionalism. Later, around week six, another presentation was due in the other ag class, and the small gas engines were discussing it. My nicknamed student stated "If you don't take that meme (which was inappropriate) out of there you can take my name off the project" to his friends. I noticed this and after class thanked him for standing his ground and displaying professionalism, which he was glad I noticed the improvement. 

Then, which this rapport that was built through humor in the classroom, professional recognition of successes, and constructive feedback, he did something that I did not expect.



Student Body Self Regulation:

While completing a task that had to be submitted with their groups, a student stood up and walked to a different group. This student is notorious for being off task, so I checked for a submission and didn't see one. I decided to say something to the student to get him back on task. The student responded with apparent rudeness that it was already completed. With Schoology lagging I final saw he did complete the task and was okay, I apologized for telling him to get back on task and let it go.

Meanwhile, my nicknamed student called the rude student out by saying "Dude, she just asked you a question you don't need to give attitude." 

In this instance, it was appropriate for him to call out another student and the issue wasn't severe. I appreciated the student's effort to regulate the room so that I didn't have to. It carries a different meaning when a peer calls a student out for not following the expectations of the classroom. 

This Leads to a Question:

Leveraging student rapport is great and has many benefits. Although I worry this will lead to students claiming I am picking favorites or the student "defending me" when others act up when they shouldn't intervene. How can I keep student rapport in check?


3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    Great work thinking your interactions with this particular student, as well as building rapport with all students. I think it is a "positive" when other students see another student that can have fun in a class, but also understands the boundaries. Students do want boundaries, and they will push you until they find that boundary. It seems this student may have done that early on in your student teaching, and you held your ground, and now it is paying off for you, and the student. I don't see this as playing favorites, but rather holding all students to the expectations. Don't be afraid to reiterate your expectations, should a student say that you are "playing favorites".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recognition here! I enjoyed reading your example. I agree with Dr. Ewing that is you are holding students to the same standard then there is no question of favoritism. There are students I naturally connect with but intentionally I will make myself talk to every student, especially during group work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your expectations are the same for all students and your reactions to their behaviors (both good and bad) are the same for all students, then favoritism is not an issue and won’t be seriously questioned. When a student defends you, I think as long as they correct others in a professional and appropriate manner, you also have nothing to worry about. I have had some instances where a student has come to my defense but used name calling or profanity as part of it. That can lead to another great conversation about the importance of carrying out good intentions in the right way, at the right time, and in the right place - all good skills for students to learn along with our content.

    ReplyDelete