Thursday, September 13, 2018

Lab #1 First Day of School

First day in Large Animal Science

In January, I will have the good fortune of teaching my first lesson on the first day of the new semester. This means I will truly have new students, right out of the box. Therefore, the lesson plan which I created and gave a 10 minute snap shot on, would be an incredibly useful tool for student teaching.

For this lesson I formatted my lesson plan, in addition to a classroom management plan with included three posters. These posters have the Procedure, Expectations, and Consequences for my classroom.

Check them out and leave feedback on how you'd revise them and why:



Two points of clarification that you may not know about my classroom management posters:

1. The Tech Break, on the procedures poster, is a 5 minute break during the block for students to go to the bathroom, check Schoology in other classes, or check their cellphone. This is considered a "temporary fly zone" in a "No Fly Zone" classroom.

2. The discussion after class under consequences is rooted in the theory of Restorative Justice which I was excited to learn about over the summer. (What are your thoughts on restorative justice?)

Reflecting on my 10 minute snap shot:

Strengths: I put a lot of thought into the lesson and the flow from the student's perspective. 
  • I ensured that I mentioned the class upon greeting the students at the door, to weed out students that may be in the wrong class. 
  • I had name cards at each seat to address assigned seating without bringing attention to the subject. 
  • Once at their desk, students found all the material handouts they would need for the day.
  • The bell ringer was written on the board and verbally prompted immediately, allowing minimal time for goofing off.
  • As my peers and mentors mentioned, my Alliteration Name Game (when I prompted students to pair an adjective describing themselves with their name) utilized minor cross-curricular terminology and aided my learning in not only the student's name but the student themselves.
Suggestions: Overall I was incredibly happy with my lesson, but as always there is room for improvement. I was thankful my peers and mentors offered meaningful feedback for me to work with.
  • I failed to write down the objective on the board or on the power point. It is critical that I look at the big picture as a whole for the day, not just task by task and hope that students get what I want them to.
  • In my Alliteration Name Game I had no idea that I responded to what student's shared with just their name. I was gracious when Mrs. Barzydlo pointed this out in Edthena, of course I was still learning about them from what they shared, but I wasn't giving the student validation that I had heard what they said. 
  • At Dover Area High School, teachers are asked to use the terminology Bell Ringer, and write an agenda on the board for students to copy. Although I did both tasks, I failed to use the correct word "Bell Ringer" opposed to "Bell Work." 
    • I like the schools decision to utilize school wide terminology for students to connect procedures across the board. Prompting the students to do Bell Ringers will result in less resistance when the whole school is using them. I have to retrain my language to make this happen!


3 comments:

  1. I give you huge 'props' for the planning that went into this... I realize that it has been a few decades since I was actually in the classroom, so I have to default to those with more current actual experiences. but I think that I would provide some incentives for or 'penalties' for not being a good classroom citizen. I think your thought process but I worry that if this is where you start, and given the tendencies (my experience from the "old days" for students to always attempt tp 'take more', I am concerned that if you don't spell out loss of privilege and stress that they have a role to also 'accept' that the goal is learning, I could imagine that they might feel as though they have no substantive consequence (loss of privilege or possibly even report/consultation to parent, assuming that would be considered a substantive consequence with today's student) to 'abuse' of the system. I could see myself having the above plan as a overall sets of goals for my classroom, but I might be in for constant struggle if I start here... I hope this makes sense. Your work is well taken and is in line with some I have seen as I work in schools across the Northeast, I just observe that many students appear to want the respect and freedom, without giving this to the teacher and others in the class, in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice lesson and reflection! I'm excited that you are interested in restorative justice. I'm her to chat about it more if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to share the results of Social Contracting that was done with my classes at the start of this school year (there is a good chance you will get to do Social Contracting with Large Animal Science since you are in charge of their first day.) We were assigned to create Social Contracts with each of our classes and encouraged to use four questions to guide the process:
    1. How do you want me to treat you?
    2. How do you want to be treated by your peers?
    3. How do you think I want you to treat me?
    4. What do we do when these expectations are not being met?

    I think for the purposes of the blog and what I've seen so far in discussion, the answers students gave me to #4 could be helpful.

    Consequences: (not necessarily in order and sometimes, accelerated)
    Conversation/Warning
    Reminder/Request for Cooperation
    Time to Calm Down (Hallway or Reset Room)
    Office Referral *Our student handbook outlines the progression through consequences for these.
    Parent Contact

    The students also listed ways they would like to be treated during these situations:
    1. handle individual issues individually and in a calm, respectful manner
    2. get the whole story - ask questions and try to see the other point of view
    3. take time to evaluate the situation
    4. as peers, know when to stay out of it - give people a chance to work things out
    5. avoid making things a bigger issue than they need to be
    6. know when it is time to agree to disagree and let it go
    7. own our choices/behavior and work to make things right, try to do better next time
    8. help each other get back on track
    9. be fair and consistent with consequences
    10. turn it around and be productive
    11. forgive, forget, and move forward

    ReplyDelete