Monday, April 15, 2019

Administrative Interview

Interview with an Administrator:

Mr. Chuck Benton is the CTE Director (shortened title) at Dover Area High School. Throughout my time at Dover I have seen Mr. Benton almost every day, and had the pleasure of coaching his daughter on my Horse Judging CDE Team. I had the opportunity to sit down with him for an interview this past week. 

The first question Mr. Benton always asks is, "Why are you an educator?" This is a question that I was well prepared for because I had already been in several mock and "real" interviews prior. This is a pretty typical question that weeds out the strong from the weak. Are you in education for summers off, to teach your content area and spread your passion, or to teach and influence students? Administrators want to know that you are there to educate students on a topic you are passionate about, but that you are always there for the student first. 

Mr. Benton mentioned that he usually can feel an "it factor" in the first several minutes of an interview. This is brought out in an interview of 2-5 people with questions written by HR. Although, the policy is new, he has years of experience with decipher the good from the great. Now, at Dover the last few candidates will be asked to teach a lesson. He mentioned that students will tell you who the better teacher is. Not by telling you who to hire but how they interact with the teacher candidates.
The last question Mr. Benton asks is, "Why do you want to teach at Dover?" This is a specific version of his opening question. If he asks this he already knows you love kids and want to improve their futures through your content and your commitment to make them better citizens. This is a question that I take time to walk myself through every single interview I have. With my interview in Arkansas, I had done research and found that the agriculture program was well established, the school was the top of the state as far as academics, and I wanted to be apart of a rigorous and rewarding experience. For my interview in Georgia, I wanted to be apart of the budding agriculture program that had lots of potential to grow a three circle model, with a supportive administration and equally supportive co-teachers and co-advisors. 

In summary, I may already have a signed contract in my corner, but interview skills and the ability to answer hard hitting questions about your motivations are what wins over not only your administration, but also your advisory committees, the community, and your students. I guarantee the CTAE Director at Camden County High School won't be the last person to ask me "Why did you choose Camden County High School if you're from Pennsylvania?" I will have to honestly answer my students, their parents, the community, and several state organizations before I can win them over with my "Northern Charm."


No comments:

Post a Comment