Thursday, April 18, 2019

Week 15 Student Teaching

Feedback & Goodbyes

This week I wrapped up my student teaching experience and said goodbye to my last group of students. Large Animal Science was the class that I had total freedom in, was my first class, and was the content area that I was most comfortable in. Therefore, I had no excuse not to do a survey of what the students thought about how I taught in that class. 

The last ten minutes were dedicated to taking the survey, saying goodbye, and signing my graduation cap. The survey was built around the 5 characteristics of great teachers by Rosenshine and Furst (otherwise known as BECOV.)

Unfortunately only 12 of the 24 students completed the survey which was completely anonymous. Regardless students ranked the 5 elements of BECOV on a 1(disagree) to 5 (agree) scale, and had two short answer questions. 

Here are The Results:










It is obvious that students that greatly enjoyed my class completed the survey, and I was appreciative of their feedback. In the future I plan to work on expressing my enthusiasm and curbing the energy that is present in the room. Frequently I found it difficult to handle energetic students that were off task, and it clearly impacted my other students. 


What is your advice for curbing off-task students back into content if they are completely disengaged and refuse to return to the task at hand?


2 comments:

  1. It looks like they were honest in their responses. This type of feedback can be very useful to your growth as an educator. I hope you continue to sell student feedback in the future, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To address your question, I will connect with teachers or counselors they "click" with and see if they can give me insight on how to get the students on task. I will try different motivational techniques to find one that clicks. I will also connect with coaches, bosses or club advisors to see if they can provide motivation to the student.

    ReplyDelete