Friday, April 5, 2019

Week 13 Student Teaching

I Teach Students

This on Friday, April 5th I taught my last lesson for Ag Engine Care. I begin to reflect on the strides I had made toward learning how to teach content that I was uncomfortable with. Instead, I came to a better conclusion.

I had grown tremendously in my content knowledge of Small Gas Engines because of the help of Mr. Bowen. I had taught the basics to students and brought something new to the class every day, but I worried that I didn't teach my advanced students a darn thing.

I announced in the last 5 minutes of class that it was my last day teaching, and Bowen would be on his own the rest of my time here. I asked them, since they contributed to my learning experience in college, if they wanted to, they may sign my graduation cap. A large amount of the students jumped up and grabbed a sharpie.

This experience made me feel appreciated. I was harsh some days, unhelpful other days, and I began to feel inadequate in making a difference to their learning. When they signed the cap, I realized they appreciated me for SOME reason, which made me think. 

I came to the conclusion after some reflection that throughout the experience my ability to hold them accountable to being professional human beings in a "workplace" helped them learn tiny nuggets of knowledge toward the real life. Often times the informal conversations added greatly to this.

Even though I struggle with the content, I made an impact on their learning. I can apply this to any course I ever teach in the future. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. Our students are learning and growing every day. You are making a difference whether you (or they) realize it immediately. Sometimes it takes years to realize the difference someone made in our lives. Keep growing and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that we are are our worst critiques. We also may not know the impact we made until the end or years later. Always keep it in perspective. It sounds like you made an impact on theses students and I really like your idea with your graduation cap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock.

    Well-written :) (and super innovative idea with grad cap!)

    ReplyDelete