Friday, April 12, 2019

PAAE SC Region Meeting

Importance of Participating in Your Professional Organization

At the regional PAAE meeting, I not only had a "hoot" with other agriculture educators at dinner, but I had an eye opening experience of how critical it is to attend and participate in the professional organization in your state for agriculture education. I saw two distinct reasons for this statement.



First, a strong Ag program has a three circle model. The meeting agenda hit all three areas of agriculture education. It also continued beyond that by including the land grant university and other organizations to help the profession in the state. The agenda reflected the progress being made to support all areas of agriculture education as well as a time for honest conversations about where the state organizations are falling short or the possible concerns of the agriculture teachers across the state. This organization provided a voice and an action plan to help agriculture educators.



Second, there was an unbelievable sense of cooperation and networking in the room. As "the youngster" in the room I was encouraged to contribute my new ideas in the "Ideas Unlimited" as well as where I can find support for implementing the three circle model in my program. Additionally, we are a group "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" but some teachers have a niche field. By going to this meeting I found teachers with skill sets and advanced curriculum in the classes I know I may teach in the near future!



Overall, GO TO YOUR REGIONAL MEETINGS! I LOVED IT! (and there is always food.)







Also - We still vote to buy PA FFA Light up pens!


1 comment: